Saturday, June 27, 2009

Etsy Shop of the Week: 1ofmykind

This week's shop is based in Galena, Illinois. The shop owner, Jody McGill, crafts the most stunning jewelry I have ever seen. She uses old vintage pieces and reworks them, giving them life again. Browse her etsy shop, http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5003513 and you'll see why she's received such recognition for her work; it is simply breathtaking. She's had over 3,000 sales on Etsy and decorates many celebrities with her beautiful creations. You don't have to be a rock star to enjoy these pieces, either - or have the budget of one. Check out what she has to say:

How did the idea for your business come about?
I opened my first antique store whilst a single mom and going to college where I was studying vocal music and art. I had always been a dumpster diver and curb picker so it was a natural progression to turn my 'skills' into summer cash so I could spend days with my baby boy (Who is now 21!) That led to finding hoards of broken vintage and antique jewelry which I began re-crafting into my own designs. It was just a matter of days before I was selling it off my neck and in a local upscale boutique.

What inspires you and what keeps you going?
My children and continuing to provide them with food, shelter and a safe loving home. As a single mom they will always be priority. Designing to me is pretty much like breathing so I would certainly perish if I stopped. I truly know I am blessed to make a living with my hands doing what I love!

It must be exciting to adorn celebrities with your wonderful creations – how did this come about?
I am very passionate about my work so eventually I guess that translated to the drama in Hollywood. Strangely I always felt it would get there and with a little luck, internet presence and connection voila, it happened! So now I adorn celebs and such and I own a bunch of one-liners like..."Anyone ever kissed Anne Heche?" and "Have you ever been a lone in a room with Justin Timberlake?" Yes and YES! It's been a wild ride andf I love it all.

To what do you attribute your success?
Positivity and surrounding my self with others who are happy, creative, and loving to all of humanity. I am very particular about my work and my friendships. I believe this consistency follows through in my work. Aesthetic is heartfelt and handmade.

Three pieces of advice you can share with fellow Etsians aspiring for success in our marketplace?
Be unique, be your self, and love what you do! Don't let your success or lack there of on etsy be a deterrent to your creativity! It ain't an easy game.

How do you go about marketing your business?
Mostly word of mouth. I figure if the work is strong people talk and not much beats that. So I commit to loving what I do and creating the best I can and the rest follows suit.

Please add anything else you’d like to share.
My utmost passion is hoping that others can tap into their own passion! Be it jewelry, painting, food, homemaking, law, sales or whatever makes their heart skip a beat. Find it!!!! It will be worth every sacrifice you make ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment